Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Loss

The part of the Oscars that recognizes those in the movie business that have died within the last year has me thinking of one of the people I have loved since I was young: Lena Horne.    I watched her in any film I could find, even as a child, because I found her beauty, style, and voice enchanting.    She could make you laugh, she could make you cry, she could make you love-sick, but she was rarely given a chance to display her talents in the ways they should have been.     She was a victim of the racist views of her time--a story many people know.    This is a tragedy, but I am still grateful for the indelible images she did leave behind.     I will never forget her singing Stormy Weather, a favorite song by a favorite singer.  Nor will the power of her one-woman show leave me (until everything has and I am at a loss for my own name.)    If you see on TCM that one of her films is being shown, do yourself a favor and watch it.   Even if her part is but a song, she makes it memorable.    Miss Horne, I will miss knowing you are in the world but I am happy you still live in some way, if just in image and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment